E.G. GREEN & SONS PTY. LTD.
Ernest George Green came to Harvey in 1909 and opened a butcher''s shop. He was the grandson of Levi Green, business man, who came to the Colony of Western Australia in 1843 and settled in the Pinjarra area.
By 1919, Ernest Green and his wife, Mary had opened other butcher's shops in Yarloop, Mornington Mills and Bunbury. By 1924 they had built an abattoir near Harvey from where they supplied their shops, butchering animals from their own farm. During those early years the little business was run with a staff of two, killing just a few cattle a week. Nowadays, Harvey Beef Abattoirs is set on 180 acres of land where, at one stage, they employed hundreds and killed 100,000 beasts a year.
During the Depression years, Harvey Beef supplied meat to the workers of the Harvey River Diversion Scheme and by 1939 they were transporting meat wholesale to other outlets in the metropolitan area, also to Collie and Brunswick through the war years.
In 1945 Ernest George Green died, aged 56 years. His eldest son, Malcolm Ernest, took over and formed the family company known as E.G. Green and Sons Pty. Ltd. with the younger son, Colin in charge of distribution and transport activities. Alma Pilkington, sister to Mal and Colin Green sat on the board of directors. The company now acquired more pastoral country, including Balmoral Station in the North West and two farms near Harvey, fronting onto Uduc Road which they named Balmoral and Strathhavon. They stocked mostly Shorthorn and Hereford cattle, as well as fat lambs on the Harvey farms. E.G. Green & Sons Pty Ltd eventually held pastoral leases in the North West of this state, covering a million hectares and selectively breeding beef cattle.
The Company continued to grow and thrive under the family who were committed to perpetuating their parents' legacy and the ongoing welfare of the town of Harvey. In 1959 E.G. Green & Sons Pty. Ltd. was granted an export license. To fully exploit this opportunity and set up an export business, Mal Green and his wife, Mary Emily moved to Perth.
The company branched out further into land and property, horse breeding and pastoral activities, as Harvey Beef thrived. The abattoirs were improved and modernised and a brine curing plant was put in to handle the daily supply of skins and the sale and export of leather.
Mal retired in 1980 and he died in 1983. His brother Colin became Chairman. In the year 2000 both Colin and Alma died. Now the next generation of the Green family took over the running of E.G. Green and Sons Pty Ltd. Mal's son Peter became Chairman of Operating Division and Colin's son, Alan was Chairman of the Group Holding Co. So another generation of the family
Over the years, the town of Harvey itself and many charities benefited from the generosity of E.G. Green & Sons whose Corporate Golf Day, in 2004 donated its profit to the Children's Leukaemia and Cancer Research Foundation. But the good times were becoming less fruitful.
Causes for the downturn were said to be drought, the influx of cheap meat imports, live stock shipping and a changing market. There was a call for mediation and management changes within the family. Staff changes took place in all areas of the business and the close knit Harvey community hurt as long-term employees fell to the downturn.
In 2005, the various companies connected with E.G. Green & Sons Pty Ltd entered a Deed of Company Arrangement, aimed at bringing their assets into line and reducing costs in an effort to save the company.
Garry Minton took up the position as Chief Executive Officer, assisted by Brian Boyes as Chief Financial Officer, Ken Doble as Chief Operations Officer and Kent Osmotherley in charge of Livestock Planning.
Harvey Beef continues to operate with reducing staff numbers and ongoing problems.