HISTORY OF HARVEY AND DISTRICT



BY: E G DAVIS - 1955


G W Logue's Shipping Notes Extracts


Copied from a statement made by G W Logue in 1925. Extracts from Perth Gazette of August 26, 1837 (Shipping Notes).


Arrived on the 22nd inst., the brig Hero, via the Cape, after a long voyage (9months).


Passengers - Mrs Irwin and family; captain Bannister; Mr Harrison; Mr Creigh; Mr and Mrs Logue and nine children.


Mr Logue (Joseph Keys Logue MA., TCD) settled at Northam, where another son was born. The family then consisted of seven sons and three daughters.


The sons were Robert, Joseph, Major, Henry, William, Thomson and George. The daughters were Elisabeth, Catherine and Matilda.


After some years at Northam, Mr Logue moved to Chittering. Some years later, Mr Logue and family moved to Harvey, George settling with his father at Ivy Cottage, Middle Swan, where J Keys Logue died April 25, 1884. George Washington Logue was born at Northam, November 3, 1839.


Joseph Logue, born October 1825, and Sarah Davies, born September, 1824, were married on February 27, 1856. Joseph Logue was chief inspector of stock, Geraldton to the South West, and was killed in 1888.


 


The Logues


(Collected by E Davis from Mesdames Blight, R Hester and others).


William Logue, son of Joseph Key Logue, was a boy of 16 when he landed with his parents at Garden Island from SS Hero, and came from Ireland. He came to Sunnyvale, Harvey, about 1860 and married a Miss Clarke, of Jardup, daughter of Ephraim Clarke and sister of E M Clarke, one time Member for the district. Children still living in Harvey are Robert Logue, who has lived in Harvey continuously since his birth 84 years ago; Matilda (Mrs R Hester, senr.), Kate (Mrs W J Blight) and Mrs Butler.


J Thomson Logue, son of Joseph Keys Logue, married Miss Mitchell (sister of Graves Mitchell). He leased Harvey River Estate from 1870 to 1884 and built the Old Homestead, where he lived until the estate was sold to Harvey, Young and Gibb, when he moved to Moojelup, Cookernup. Charles Courthope of South Perth and Charles Nicholson of Cookernup, are nephews of Mrs Thomson Logue.


Catharine Logue married Thomas Hayward, of Bundidup and Bunbury. Their son, Thomas Hayward, lived at Bundidup and was a member and chairman of the Harvey Road Board.


About the same time his brother, William Logue, came to Sunnyvale, Joseph Henry Logue senr. Took up land at north Harvey (known as Leylands). His house was called Convolulus Villa. The brook running through the property is still known as Logue's Brook. Mrs G Hayward Clifton is the nearest descendant of this branch of the Logue family, being the daughter of Joseph Henry Logue, jnr., who was very prominent in the early days of Cookernup.


 


Mail Coaches


In the early 1860's the mail coach stopped at Logue's and later a shingle-roofed building was erected on the opposite side of the Perth Bunbury Road south of Logue's farm. The local police officer was in charge of this building, which was pulled down a few years ago.


Mrs Hayward Clifton relates a story of early days when escaped convicts called at the farm demanding food and money. They held up Mrs Logue and the elder children, but one of the youngest, a boy, quietly slipped out the back door and brought back Mr Logue and those working with him, and they arrested the convicts.


Mr Logue had another property further north on another brook, known as "Up The Spout." He was at the "spout" when his son went to bring him home to arrest the convicts.


At the back of the shingle-roofed building there was a cottage where the policemen, Constable Pollard, lived. When this building was demolished the bricks were used to build chimneys at Leylands' farm.


Another coaching station was built at the corner of the main road and the Weir Road. This was a slab cottage, occupied by Mrs William Adams, grandmother of Mrs W J Martin of Harvey.


In addition to receiving the mail, Mrs Adams sold stamps and stores and acted as midwife in the district 75 years ago. This is referred to later by Messrs Gervase Clifton and Roy Hayward. Mrs Adams' son, William who lived on the Coast road, said that in the early days a policeman was stationed on the bridge over the Harvey River, west of Waroona, and questioned all travellers, "Are you bond or free?" Many convicts were given a ticket-of-leave for good conduct after being in the State for a few years.


 


Mrs Cecilia Meredith, daughter of Thomas Marriott, Brunswick.


Marriott was born at Baston (probably Baston-in-theClay), Bedfordshire, England, in 1817. He came to WA in the "Diadem". Mary Lyons, aged 17, single, came out on the same ship. They were the first couple married in the old Picton Church. Mrs Mary Marriott was the first white woman in Brunswick. She was Mrs Meredith's mother.


Fred Jones was the first school teacher at the old Picton School (previously mentioned by F A B Jones). After he left the school to go farming he lost an arm in an accident.


Mrs Meredith's brother, William and David, were members of the first Brunswick District road Board. David was board chairman after William Reading retired. Her husband, George William Meredith, was born at Toodyay on August 3, 1863. They came to live at Cookernup in 1895. Later, Mr Meredith was elected a board member and served for about 10 years. Thomas Marriott, who lived at Spring Hill, was a great friend of William Reading of Runnymede and had great respect for his ability as a farmer and chairman of the board, when there was much to be done and little money for the construction and clearing of roads.


The Marriott brothers were active members and with others were responsible for all the engineering activities in the district. They also supervised the work in an honorary capacity.


The first Justice of the Peace known was a Mr David Eadle. His eldest daughter was the first teacher at the old school at Brunswick on the Australind Road about 1870. This was in a different site to the present school.


Miss Mitchell was the first teacher at Cookernup about 1896. She married a Mr Courthope and is still living in South Perth.


Mrs Meredith's elder son was unable to go to school until he was 11 as there was no school.


On one occasion this son worked for one day for J Thompson Logue, with two horses, near Summer Brook, in the hills. He had helped Mr Logue as a great favour, but had a hard time. When asked what pay he wanted he said 9/- for the day, and got it. His mother was very upset when she heard he had demanded and received 9/-. He told her he had had a very hard time and had nearly been killed by one of the horses. Later that evening he gave Mr Logue 3/- back and commended for his honesty. He told his mother that if she had to put up with what he had she would also have asked for 9/-. Mr Logue told him he was glad he had come back because he had told Mrs Logue about it, and had been very upset.


Mr Logue was always inventing something. On one occasion he dug a well on the hillside, took a horse into it, but had not made the cut big enough and could not turn the horse around. He had to get the horse out tail first.


The first postmistress at Cookernup was Mrs Sutcliffe.


Some of the Harvey children who went to Cookernup School were Robert and William Murray, John and Mary Ryan, Harry Taylor, Percy and George Payne and James Lowe.


The tramway to Williams' Mill had timber rails and joined the railway at Weekes' (now Tester's) south of Cookernup. The trucks were pulled by horses into the hills and returned loaded to the railway. There was another tramline to Ferguson's Mill near the present Hoffman Road.


Both lines crossed the main road and notices had to be erected "Look out for the train". The lines were rated by the road board.


Cookernup Farmers' Association started in May, 1897, and the Cookernup hall was built a bit earlier (September 24, 1896, first record).


When Mr Meredith took up land at Cookernup, the only settlers were J Logue (Upper Harvey); Jas. Clarke (Myrtle Hill); William Adams, Thompson Logue and Weekes. Mr Cook probably went there about this time.


Yarloop did not exist then but the opening up of the timber industry with several mills in the district made Cookernup a big centre.


Mrs M B Smith, Uduc, was possibly the first white woman to live at Harvey, but there was a Mrs Chapman, wife of the hut keeper in the very early days. (Mentioned in Staples' thesis). Harry Taylor states that old settlers always referred to the building erected by Governor Stirling as "The Hut".


Mrs Meredith thinks Mrs Ogden was the woman who brought the first mail from Perth to Bunbury on horseback before the government coach was run. Mr Ogden was the first mail contractor and later employed a man to deliver mail to Brunswick in a spring cart. Mrs Meredith remembers that one day this man had too much to drink and capsized the cart near Riverdale, Brunswick. Her father brought him home to clean up and gave him hot drinks to sober him up. This was on a special trip to bring a woman from Perth, who had just arrived from England to see her dying brother in Bunbury. He died before she arrived.


Horses were changed at Marriott's Riverdale (Now Marsden's); Logue's North Harvey and Fouracres, near Waroona.


There was a big cricket match between the North and South at Cookernup in January 1897. Her three boys sat on top of a black boy all day to see the match. Some of the McLarty's played for the North. In later years the Marriotts and Merediths made a cricket team on their own.


Mrs Meredith remembers concerts in the old Mission Hall, Harvey, and Dorthy Myatt (nee Clifton), and her sister singing.


Church of England - Rev. Withers was the first minister to come to Brunswick. He lived in Brunswick. Rev. Devlin was the first Rector in Harvey and Rev. Scott Clarke visited Yarloop. Rev. Jackson built the present church at Yarloop single handed. At the church's consecration, Rev. Jackson collapsed and died in the arms of Mr John Pollard.


Mails


The first mail from Perth to Bunbury was carried by a woman on horseback (see Mrs Meredith), then by Government coach. One of the very early drivers was Johnny McKernon. Then the mail contract was taken over by Edward McLarty, the father of Sir Ross McLarty. The mail came from Perth to Pinjarra at "Blythewood" then it divided just south of Pinjarra.


The mail came from Bunbury on the top road on Monday and back to Bunbury by the old Coast Road on Tuesday and the same on Thursday and Friday. A change of horse was kept at the house of Joseph Logue, North Harvey. The horses were in charge of a young man, Dick Wells, who used to take them to the road and bring the tired horses back.


In 1890, Henry Sutton, of Mandurah, paid a deposit of 600 acres, known as Jardup, to E M Clarke, who went to live at Bunbury. W J Sutton bought and farmed the property until 1913, increasing the area to 1527 acres.


Governor Stirling owned the Harvey Estate and Thompson Logue leased it for some years until it was bought by Dr Harvey and Messrs Young and Gibbs in 1893. Mr Buckby was their first manager. He died at the old Homestead about June, 1894. Mr Buckby and young nephew, Richie Palmer, then moved to Dardanup. I believe the Palmer family is still there.


Early burials were held at Australind and Pinjarra.


 


Coal


Arthur Perren, one of the original members of the Brunswick Road Board is credited the first man to discover coal near Collie. Evidence presented to a Government Select Committee, and from letters written by the late A F Clifton, the following is gathered.


Perren found two pieces of coal in the bank of the Collie River about 1880. Not owning the land on which he was running sheep, he hid the coal. This was later found by his shepherd, George Marsh. When Marsh reported this to Perren he was sworn to secrecy, but later Arthur Perren was very ill and thought he was going to die. He sent for his brother, Jesse, who lived at Long Swamp, Harvey, and told him that he had found coal on the Collie River, but he must not tell anyone unless Arthur died.


In September, 1889, Jesse Perren saw some bags of coal on the Bunbury wharf and said, "I know where there is plenty of that stuff." Hearing this remark later from a friend, D A Hay, of Bunbury, thought that Jesse had coal on his farm at Long Swamp and drove out to see him. All he got from him was that his brother, Arthur, had found coal on his sheep run on the Collie River and tried to make Arthur believe that Jesse had told him all about the find. Arthur refused to give Hay much information until he had made an arrangement under which he would share any profits equally after Hay had developed the find.


In 1887 the Government had offered a reward of 1,000 pound to the person discovering a payable coalfield. A Perren and D A Hay both claimed the reward. Perren's claim was supported by Messrs Reading, C Rose, E M Clarke, T Hayward, and others.


The Government paid Arthur Perren and D A Hay 100 pound each and later a committee recommended that Perren should be paid a further 600 pound and Hay 200 pound. This recommendation was not acted on. A Select Committee was then appointed and after hearing lengthy evidence reported on November 20,1900, that it was convinced the Perren was the actual discoverer. It recommended that 400 pound be paid to him and 400 pound be paid to Hay's representatives. Finally, the Government paid Perren 400 pound and paid 400 pound to Mrs Kate Hay, widow of D A Hay.


After coal had been found in big quantities in Collie, the Government had one ton carted to Bunbury. Sir John Forrest then decided to have 1,000 tons raised and taken to Roelands to be railed to Perth. Atkins and Law carted the coal under contract in two trips a week.


To make sure the Government would pass a Bill for a railway to Collie it was arranged for most of the members of both Houses of Parliament to go to Collie by road to inspect the mine. The party went to Bunbury by train and on the following morning, March 30, 1895, a special train took them to Roelands. There a breakfast was prepared under the supervision of Mr and Mrs R H Rose. It consisted of turkeys, fowls and joints. In 25 buggies and other vehicles the party set off before dawn, reaching the coalfield safely after a rough ride over bad roads.


The mine was inspected and all sat down to a sumptuous repast under big bough shelters. This was followed by speeches from Sir John Forrest, Hon. H W Venn, and others. Algy Clifton drove one of the vehicles which carried George Leake, MLA., and Charles Harper MLA.


The Bill for the Collie line was passed and the line was constructed by Atkins and Law. It was opened on July 1, 1898.


 


Benger Swamp


Benger Swamp is probably the most fertile of any land in the State and was originally part of 100,000 acres granted to Col. Latour, about 1829. Several years later this land was bought by the West Australian Land Company and the swamp was part of the land owned by the company when the Australind settlement was started in 1840-41.


It was held for several years by Leake and Harper, a firm of solicitors, and then sold to Dr Hope. J P Wellard settled on land adjoining the swamp and a few years later he bought it for about 2/6 an acre. J P Wellard and A R Richardson sub divided about two thirds of the swamp at its southern end as the Condarina Estate and sold blocks at an average of about 10 pound and acre. Richardson was an executor of Wellard's estate, and was also his brother-in-law.


What was known as Mitchell's, north of the road that intersects the swamp from east to west was sub-divided by James Mitchell (later Sir James), at a later date. There was a big iron shed on the north west corner that was always known as Mitchell's shed.


A F Clifton has said that the swamp was on the market for 40 or 50 years at 2/- an acre, and was eventually sold for 1/6 or 1/9 an acre. Before 1944 it had produced about 40 pounds worth of potatoes per acre for nearly 30 years. Since 1944, the money return from this wonderful piece of land has been much greater.


Mr Tom Offer recalls that there were only three families in Benger when he was born there about 1875. All were living on high land near the swamp. They were Tom Marriott, senr., and his brother-in-law, John Lyons, who both came to West Australia in the Diadem in 1842; and Tom Offer's father, Henry Offer. Before Wellard bought the swamp it was offered to Henry Offer who refused even an offer of 6d and acre, because he said he had enough land.


Before the railway was opened in Harvey, the nearest farm west of the line was the old Uduc Homestead, Tom Offer cleared and formed the first road from Uduc into Harvey. The large red gums were cut off at ground level and the road formed over them. Jack Delaney cleared the Uduc Road from the main road to the east side of the railway about the same time.


Some years ago, A F Clifton inquired about the origin of the name Benger. Tom Offer says that long before that there was a railway siding there, known as Mornington, and named after the Mornington Creek. The native name was Ben Gar. Different natives had their own way of pronouncing the name, but the present spelling is as near as possible to the original native name. (Note: After Tom Offer had formed the Uduc Road, evidently for the old Wellington Road Board, the Brunswick Road Board took over the district in 1895, and Joseph Perren's tender for gravelling part of Uduc Road for 1 pound 8 shillings and 6 pence per chain was accepted).


In those early days, the soil in Benger Swamp was so good that the only manure used was Florida superphosphate which then cost about 5 pound a ton. In later years potato manure was used at the rate of one ton to the acre in place of the original dressing of one bag of manure to one bag of seed - about 10 or 12 cwt. to the acre.


Before Delaware potatoes were brought to the district by a local storekeeper (Friskin), many varieties were tried with varying success. They included Factor, King Edward, Mannister, Manhattan and a very large ugly potato called the Elephant. Yellow-tails, sometimes grown in the Benger Swamp in the early days, were nice to eat. There was one exception when Alf Stanford had one of the best crops grown in the swamp from Yellow-tail seed. The seed was supposed to have "run out" and were not satisfactory.


It has been said that today's popular potato, the Delaware, is not a Delaware because the importer got the seed labels mixed.


Menu

CSS DropDown Menu