This cemetery of about 20 acres was surveyed by the Western Australian Land Company in 1841, the first burial taking place the following year. It was in no way a private burial ground, for the early settlers who used it were of various denominations, except Roman Catholic.
In the early days of the District there were no Roman Catholic settlers; later when they came they had their own Parish Priest and services in Bunbury, so never made use of this cemetery.
It is interesting to note that the Indian, Robert Ghainda, who lived not far from the Pioneers' Memorial, was buried here about 1896. A wooden railing and headstone which were erected have now been destroyed by white ants, or bush fires, which also destroyed various other railings and headstones made of wood.
The cemetery was consecrated by Bishop A. Short in 1852, on the 16th of July, when he came from Adelaide to visit this part of his Diocese.
The first burial.
THE first burial at the cemetery on Claremont Hill was the medical officer for the Western Australian Company who came on the barque "Parkfield" with the chief commissioner of the company and his family and the first settlers.
Anthony French Carpenter M.D. aged 30 years died at Belvedere on 11th March, 1842.
At 8 a.m. on Sunday 13th the chief commissioner proceeded across the Estuary in his boat attended by his principal officers accompanied by four boats with the rest of the officers and some of the settlers.
At 9 a.m. having put the coffin aboard to be towed by two boats with one other boat on each side the procession arrived in this order at Australind.
Mr Wollaston and others were in sight coming up the Inlet.
The coffin covered with a handsome black cloth trimmed with white made for the occasion was rested on tressels until all had arrived.
By 11 o'clock the mourners proceeded in the following order:
The Rev. J.R. Wollaston
Mr. Eliott Mr. Stirling
Mr. Thompson the coffin Mr. Greensell
Mr. Onslow Mr. Pearce Clifton
Officers of the survey two and two other inhabitants of Australind
two and two people of the neighbourhood two and two strangers two and two.
The coffin being carried by six men the procession moved through the village.
At the end of which was stationed a horse drawn dray, which served as a hearse.
The procession walked to the hill through the bush. Arrived there the coffin was again taken on the shoulders of the men to the grave where Rev. Mr .Wollaston feelingly read the funeral service, which was held in the survey office
After, all returned to the settlement where the evening service was read and Mr. Wollaston preached a simple affecting sermon suited to the occasion.
The Australind Cemetery, Notes and History 1841 - 1977 (Printed in 1977 to mark W.A.'s coming 150th Anniversary 1st June 1979.) by Emily K. Clifton. Supplied by Harvey Tourist Bureau